Retaining Compound - high strength. General purpose. Fast curing.LOCTITE 638 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where bond gaps can approach 0.25 mm. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. It not only works on active metals but also on passive substrates, exhibiting robust cure performance. The product offers high-temperature performance and good oil tolerance, and tolerates minor surface contaminants.
- High temperature resistance
- Tolerates minor contaminants, including industrial oils
- High strength on all metals, including passive substrates (e.g. stainless steel)
- Ideal for shafts, gears, pulleys and similar cylindrical parts
- LOCTITE 638 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where bond gaps can approach 0.25 mm and where maximum strength at room temperature is required. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. Typical applications include locking bushings and sleeves into housings and on shafts. LOCTITE® 638â„¢ provides robust curing performance. It not only works on active metals (e.g. mild steel) but also on passive substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces. The product offers high temperature performance and oil tolerance. It tolerates minor surface contaminations from various oils, such as cutting, lubrication, anti-corrosion and protection fluids. NSF International Registered to NSF Category P1 for use as a sealant where there is no possibilty of food contact in and around food processing areas. Note: This is a regional approval. Please contact your local Technical Service Center for more information and clarification. TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF UNCURED MATERIAL Specific Gravity @ 25 °C 1.1 Flash Point - See SDS Viscosity, Brookfield - RVT, 25 °C, mPa·s (cP): Spindle 3, speed 20 rpm 2,000 to 3,000LMS Viscosity, Cone & Plate, 25 °C, mPa·s (cP): Shear rate 129 s -1 1,900 to 3,100